Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pav Bhaji and No Name Chicken

Nupur's blog, OneHotStove has been an absolute favorite of mine for a while now. In fact, her food blog made me a blogophile (if there's such a word). That one blog opened up a 16"x18" world that I must troll through every single day. I have favorite posts of course, that I will read over and over again, either just for the stories or more for the recipes. So many earmarked, many more printed, and some tried and tested.
Which brings me to the pav bhaji post that Nupur put up on her blog. This was the second time I've made it and both times it's turned out pretty authentic. I wish I could be brave enough to add as many dollops of butter as I want, but that will happen when I want arteries of steel. But really, even with dodgy old MDH pav bhaji masala - I swear that masala is o-l-d - it turned out pretty nice.
All I'll do, is add some pictures...



Good old adrak (ginger) and lasoon (garlic)












Gobi (cauliflower) and aloo (potatoes) in a pressure cooker









Kachcha (uncooked) masala with green peppers











FINISHED PRODUCT !!
I thought it was quite authentic looking and tasting













Spouse-unit's reaction on tasting the bhaji. I thought it was spot on.









Since his reaction was flames in the mouth, I thought I would make him some of my no name chicken.




No-name (or is it Teriyaki) Chicken

3 Chicken drumsticks
2 Tbsp Soy sauce (extra thick)
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp soonth (ground ginger)
1/2 tsp chilli powder/paste
and maybe some oil (I have found though, that if the chicken has skin and some fat, adding oil is gilding the lily)
Do not add salt, especially since soy sauce has plenty.

Pre-heat oven to 375F. Mix all ingredients really well. In goes the pan of chicken for 40 minutes. Take pan out. Turn drumsticks. Increase oven temperature to 400F and in goes pan again for 15 minutes. I then turn off the oven, and leave the chicken in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes. I've found that way the meat literally falls off the bone, and the caramelization, I'm told, is finger-and pan-licking amazing. I'm a pescitarian, and so all my meat preparations are literally by smell: tasting is done by spouse-unit) Savory and sweet.

















So, the final meal looked something like this -
Spouse unit's
















Mine -








The pav didn't turn out right. Oh well.

No comments: